1. Do you remember the specific moment you decided you were going to dread your hair? Where were you and how did you feel?
I was probably at home looking at dreadlocked YouTubers and I felt pretty convinced I wanted to do this. I had very vivid visions of me with thick red locs, long and thrown back in a lazy ponytail and that was that. I was ready.
2. What method, if any, did you use to start your dreadlocks?
Finger twists, rubber bands and three-strand-twists were put in by a hair dresser before they were restarted at home with comb coils. Some of my locs were later restarted with two strand twists.
3. How old are your dreadlocks?
My locs are 2 years.
4. What is the length of your longest dread? And shortest?
My longest dread is 5 inches and the shortest is just over 3 inches.
5. Do you have any dreads that are especially unique, strange, or awesome?
I have few that are just so fat and plump and I love them. I also have a couple of congos (two locs, one base) growing in.
6. How many dreads do you have currently? Is that the same number you started with?
I have 55 locs which is less than half of what I started with.
7. What shampoo or other products do you use on your dreads?
I've been using Cream of Nature's Kiwi & Citrus Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo and raw virgin coconut oil for over a year now.
8. How often do you wash your dreads?
I wash my hair once every 4-12 days.
9. Do you do any regular maintenance on your dreads?
Maintenance has become quite irregular over the past 5 months. I want my roots to remain thick so I only maintain them on occasion.
10. What are your favourite beads or other decorations?
I occasionally wear silver cuff beads on my dreads.
11. If your dreads had their own personal motto, what would it be?
Haha. I suppose they'd follow my motto in general, as quoted by Usher: " A lady on the street and a freak in the bed".
12. If you could start a new set of dreads, would you do anything differently?
I'd make sure my hair was over 4 inches long before I started and I'd make sure the partings where staggered (brick-lay pattern) so I didn't experience such prominent partings.
13. Is there anything else unique about your appearance other than dreadlocks? (tattoos, piercings, etc).
I have 8 piercings but no tattoos.
14. How many people do you know personally with dreadlocks?
I don't personally know of anyone who has dreadlocks. Apparently my uncle used to have them but I was too young to recall.
15. Have any employers turned you down for having dreads? Any wanted you BECAUSE of your dreads?
I've never been turned down or offered work because of my dreadlocks but I did maintain a job whilst having them.
16. Whats the WEIRDEST question you've gotten about your dreads? DUMBEST? FUNNIEST? Most common?
"How do you do your hair like that?" was pretty common in my first year but I rarely get asked about them these days. I notice people tend to comment on the colour more than anything.
17. Have you ever had a freak accident or an embarrassing moment involving your dreads?
Fortunately not. They're pretty hazard free at this length though every now and then I'll get them caught on either mine or someone else's glasses, especially as don't retwist my roots as often.
18. Do you have any dreaded role models? If so, who?
I've never had a dreaded role model, I take inspiration from hundreds of loc wearers
19. What dreaded YouTubers could you see yourself hanging out with in real life?
oceangrins and meroekhalia.
20. Who are you going to Tag?
Everyone reading this questionnaire and I'd really like to get a link to your answers too.