10 October 2013

Update/Tips: Two Strand Twists, Frizz & Baby Locs

Just a quick update on how my two strand twists are developing. After shampooing for a second time they are really starting to frizz and knit together. I wouldn't say the two strand twist pattern is fading it's just becoming less obvious under the frizz.

I haven't started palm-rolling my two strand twists yet but I will once they develop some more as I already palm-roll my locs.

They've got a long way to go but I trust they'll form nicely. I have an inkling that budding will be starting in the next couple of months. I'm intrigued to see/feel how they develop in two strand twists compared with comb coils.


Frizz

Experiencing frizz is a brilliant stage to reach for anyone new to the journey and wondering how to deal with their newly developing fuzzies. It can happen in as little as two weeks after installation depending on your hair texture and is usually induced by frequent washing.

From what I can deduce, shrinkage and frizz are the first steps towards developing baby locs and with two strand twists frizz is even more desirable as it will progressively transform the visual appearance of two strand twists into dreadlocks.

Frizz isn't the same as loose hairs but can occur simultaneously, especially with comb coils. Loose hairs are often found coming from the roots and in between the locs themselves. Frizz forms across the shaft of the loc and those hairs will interweave over several months whilst hairs on the inside combine to thicken the loc and solidify it's structure.

To form neater locs you can start palm rolling your frizz, training it to form cylindrically, to your liking. I recommend starting no sooner than three months in or when your locs start to firm up (when you can't reverse the two strand twist).


(Week 5)


DREADLOCKS ARE...


**Photography ownership is held with the blog account holder. DO NOT use without permission.**

2 comments:

  1. Your hair looks nice! Welcome to the Frizz Club! Except I have a ton of loose hairs as well. I will take your advice and re-twist my hair for the first time since re-installation tonight! I am so excited to see your final outcome in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah I've been taking diligent care of it lately. Plenty of fuzz but no loose hairs yet.

      I'll expand a response to my advice on retwisting in one of your posts as it's more relevant on your blog..

      ciao

      Delete