13 January 2014

Update: Puffy Roots, New Growth, Length?


Hi all,

I've just washed my hair and am currently sat with a shower cap on feeling deflated. Essentially:
  • I'm tired of shrinkage.
  • I'm tired of my roots not loc'ing up.
  • I'm tired of a retwist being the only option to show my length.
  • I'm tired of having short hair period.



It's been months since I examined my roots and running my hands through them today made me smile. But it's because of these puffy roots that the rest of my hair still looks short. My roots are a good 2-3 inches long and my locs are a good 3-4 inches long. It's that half and half thing that really makes them look so odd to me. Now if my locs were 7-8 inches and my roots were 3 that'd be fine.

I remember feeling this way in September and now it's January. I see you all with long locs and I know it's possible, but it's been 21 months already! At first I knew it was the buds that were swallowing up some of the length but over the last month or so I've noticed that my buds haven't  made any visible progress. Actually all progress seems to have stopped in general.



Yes it looks fine when I retwist them and my grandmother certainly approved of my last hairstyle but it feels so limiting, trying to preserve that level of neatness. It's lost its charm.

I don't really know what to do next. I need advice on how to work with short locs without the pinned up grooming. I've decided to give my hair another year before either getting extensions or putting this journey on hold until I have a length I'm comfortable with. 5 inches in almost two years just isn't fair.

I'm going to oil and dry my hair and then leave it until I get some input from you guys :)



DREADLOCKS ARE...

**Photography ownership is held with the blog account holder. DO NOT use without permission.**

2 comments:

  1. Dear NaturaLocs

    Please do not lose hope. While I do not always comment I always keep reading and you have been my hairsinpiration when I felt like trimming my locs. This journey is not for the faint hearted that is why it is so specia; and only special people have the patience to cope with this special hair journey. there are so many factors that may be hampering your length retention it is hard to pin point it to just one thing. However diet is key. I would also try to just leave the hair alone for awhile. Semi free forming or the neglect method has yeilded satisfactory result re: hair growth for me. check out my page as I posted my latest hair regimen last week. Happy Loc'ing

    One love
    Coco.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coco, so glad to hear from you in 2014! I appreciate the really good advice. Yes diet is so important. I eat a mixed variety but I'm making a real effort in take in more fruit and veg and you've just reminded how much water plays a part too. It's so hard drinking enough when it's as cold as it is in the UK.

    I'll definitely leave my hair alone for now. I realise my newer two strand twists are probably starting their rough stage and I need to ride it out like last year.

    Anyway I caught up on your latest posts and wow, all I can say is that I truly admire your strength and perseverance. You've come through so much and there you are bringing in the new year with open arms. And your hair has grown so much. Your updates really made me stop and think.

    On to better days I hope :)

    ReplyDelete