4 February 2013

Month 10

Hello and may I just say how nice it is to read such diverse locblog entries. I follow quite a number of you and I'm always looking out for your updates. The community is certainly alive and well.


Now, the last time I wrote in I'd just had my hair retwisted at the salon after concluding that I was over washing my hair. The plan was to give my hair time to matt together in a more cylindrical fashion with minimal unraveling so I left off with a pledge to not wash it for a month. I'm two days shy of three weeks into my new plan and there's been a bit of good and a bit of ..urgh.

I started getting dandruff in week one, though my roots have become so thick it isn't noticeable to anyone but me. Itching comes and goes so I can't say it's going all that badly. I'm confident my hair is clean and healthy but my scalp must be wondering if we're in the midsts of an unofficial drought! They say habits are hard to break but I'm determined to wait it out.

Since the salon experience I switched to wearing a satin bonnet when I finally accepted that my locs are too long to fit under my satin scarf. I tell ya this bonnet doesn't budge at all and my hair no longer looks flattened in the mornings though it's hardly tamed either. Shrinkage is nowhere near as intensive as it was and there's been a lot of positive maturation.

I'm feeling more loc'd every week:




Although it's been trying at times I am really pleased with how my baby dreads look. I've experienced little to no issues with dry hair and haven't put anything on my scalp for a good while now, though I do need something because it's looks dry. I have spritzed my hair with water a few times and retwisted my thicker locs using more of my aloe gel which I'm finding to be quite softening.

And speaking of thick locs, I 'm still waiting on mine. It seems the longer my hair gets the thicker I wish them to be. Now when I say thick locs, let me show you the extremes of my hair fantasies:

Link, be prepared.

I only came across her insta-page a few days ago. It was nice to see photos from her life with her mature dreads as sort of a feature. It made me think: The great thing about this journey is moulding dreads to fit your particular style. I totally admire how memmapantz' locs are so befitting of her just as my mine will be of me given the time.

That one year milestone is coming up sharpish >_<










DREADLOCKS ARE...


**photography ownership is held with the blog account holder. DO NOT use without permission.**

4 comments:

  1. They are looking good! One of the most beautiful things about locs is that you can make them your own to fit your personality. Will you continue to maintenance them yourself or go back to the salon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, well I'm almost certain I won't be going back to the salon this time around, though I'm glad to have found a salon I can rely on in future. It's been almost a month since my hair was maintained and I don't knot if it's because my hair is longer or because I've left them to mature but ithey're doing really well and I can't wait to wash and manage the new growth :D
      :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, they look so sweeeeettttttt!!! They are so thick. I clicked on memmapantz's link, and omg, I love the thickness of her dreads. I even like the way she styles them. I usually part my dreads down the middle. Now she's got me thinking of doing a side part. I also like how her front bang is bleached. It looks good crossing her forehead. Anyway, thanks for the link. And thanks for posting the update. I'm loving to see your process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, her dreads are one of a kind. After around two days ogling her hair photos, I knew thick locs were my kind of style. Though her exact look on anyone else mightn't be so effective.

      I think the way you wear your dreads has always suited your style and the personality I've come to know online. I get what you're to achieve with them also: the more free, bohemian-esk, expressive style?? I also have the central part and unlike the brick-lay pattern at the crown, you can have an even part almost anywhere. Looking out for a "various dread styles" entry from you!

      And I really appreciate the kind words about my hair, pre-salon visit I was beginning to think it'd never happen :D

      Delete