5 May 2012

Tips: Itchy scalp? Try natural oils!

Last month I talked about sampling various oils each week until I found one that worked well with my hair and soon after my week trial with tea tree oil I settled on extra virgin olive oil because it seemed to work miracles. Not only did it hold in moisture when I used it regularly with water but it also worked well for re-twists (no build-up or flaking). I've also been relieved of itchiness even when my scalp is due for a wash. I'm very impressed with the multi-purposes of this oil and love that its 100% natural.

I recently opted to try other oils for purely aesthetic purposes. The smell of olive oil isn't particularly appealing outside of the kitchen and I wanted to add something to liven things up a bit. I chose pure coconut oil and sweet almond oil and hurrah-hurrah they have arrived - thank you Amazon!

First I'll replace olive oil spritz with coconut oil for upto a week and then do the same again with the almond oil. I don't want to mix any oils together just yet because if I notice any changes - good or bad - it'll be difficult to identify which oil is the cause.

Just a little info on these particular oils:







Sweet Almond oil: natural almond oil is said to relieve itching, dryness and irritation. It can be used on skin as well as hair and is high in vitamin E . It's very absorbent and doesn't feel greasy. There's no smell and is clear in colour.

Coconut oil: pure coconut oil is famed for the benefits it provides to skin and hair. Composed of mostly saturated fat (the good kind) it is has a solid form when not in use but melts when rubbed into skin. Again a good source of vitamins as well as the mineral iron. It's clear when melted, has a faintly sweet smell and exceptionally high absorbency.

Extra Virgin Olive oil: this oil is brilliant for skin and hair, and so affordable it should be in everyone's hair arsenal. It's known to have numerous health benefits when eaten and is a great alternative to both food and body butters. I like the consistency which is notably thicker than the other oils but still ideal for my locs. It does have a greasier feel but absorbs soon after application - and less spreads further. IT has a mild smell and is a deep yellow/greenish colour.





*Remember oils don't add moisture they seal in moisture, therefore adding oil to dry hair is not beneficial. Opt to spray a light oil on freshly washed hair that is still damp or hair that has been moistened by steam from a shower or bath. The heat from warm water or steam will allow cuticles along the hair shaft to open letting the oils seep in for deeper conditioning. Research the differing benefits of natural oils and don't be afraid to use more than one.

**When using an oil for the first time read the ingredients thoroughly and massage a small amount onto your inner elbow leaving for 12-24hrs to test for a sensitive reaction.



Dreadlocks are a lifestyle

**Photography ownership is with the blog account holder,DONOT use without permission,**

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with this post! My personal favorite is avocado oil, I oil my scalp daily with it. Just mist my hair with water, part and oil my scalp with it and massage it in for like 3 minutes. Normally my hair gets buildup/dandruff very fast (like within a day of washing) and since doing this, no buildup and it's been 5 days after a wash. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo avocado, you know I'll be researching that now haha! this hair business is addictive,but then...if it works, is affordable AND good for you we should share the knowledge. I noticed the very same improvements when I switched to natural oils.

    I think scalps need a little simplification now and then, goes to show buildup is indeed avoidable for the most part.

    Thanks for reading this post Mskraizy :)

    ReplyDelete