23 July 2012

Colour: Loc Trial

I decided to dye the locs just behind my ear and near my temple, they're out of the way but still in a good enough place for me to see what I'm doing in the mirror.

What I used:
  • L'Oréal Paris FéRia - P37 Booster Plum Power
  • MAY's 6% (20 vol) Cream Developer
  • Trulites Tz Rapid white Powder Bleach
  • Sweet Almond oil
  • 1 Glass Bowl
  • 1 Tint Brush
  • 1 pair of Latex Gloves
  • Aluminium foil

Note: The only item I used from the L'Oréal FéRia box was the colour tube but it does also come with it's own developer, oil, gloves & conditioner.

Method:
  1. Opened all of the windows in the room (bleach and peroxide are toxic and can cause severe damage if inhaled).
  2. Sectioned off the locs I wanted to bleach with clips.
  3. Spritzed with water to soften them slightly (less than damp but still moist).
  4. Added approx. 1 tbsp of powdered bleach to 4 tbsps of cream developer and mixed well (consistency was smooth and runny).
  5. Applied liberally to the locs. I then covered them with foil for around 15 minutes. (could've left it for another 10 minutes as the knots hadn't fully taken as much as the loose hair).
  6. Rinsed the bleach out thoroughly with warm water.
  7. Disposed of all unused bleach mixture.

(click picture to enlarge)
after 15 minutes



3 days later...
  1. Followed steps 1-3 above.
  2. Mixed approximately 1 tbsp of FéRia hair colour with 4 tbsps of cream developer and a tsp of sweet almond oil. I mixed until it turned a deep mauve colour. 
  3. Once again I applied liberally to the locs, covered with foil and left for 45-50 minutes.
  4. Disposed of all unused colour mixture.
(click picture to enlarge)
the colour got much deeper


After rinsing all the dye out (until the water  ran clear) this is the colour I was left with:

(click picture to enlarge)
black/red/berry/plum colour???


While they were damp I moisturised the locs with plenty of sweet almond oil, re-twisted and, let them air dry. And here's the final result:

(click picture to enlarge)
loc trial complete!


I'll let you know what I think of this colour soon.

DREADLOCKS ARE A LIFESTYLE

**Photography ownership is held with the blog account holder. DONOT use without permission**

2 comments:

  1. hey!!! i've been wondering how loc'ers do this. like if your locs are fully locked, will some of the chemicals remain stuck in there after washing? anyway, the idea is pretty cool. love the deep plum color. ciao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder about that. The chemicals certainly washed out easily this time but I feel the colour would look better on more mature locs even though they're more difficult to wash.

      I guess you could us a neutralising shampoo, or wash repeated with some sort of clarifier, maybe?

      Still researching...

      Delete